Parents should know that online businesses that advertise child-care services have limitations that could lead to serious consequences.Read More
You’ll find more headphones that sound great but cost less than their predecessors did.Read More
May 20, 2015—A national recall of 33.8 million vehicles for defective air bags could take years to complete, according to experts.
May 19, 2015—Federal Trade Commission and all 50 states (as well as District of Columbia) sued four cancer charities, charging that they are, in fact, scams that bilked at least $187 million from consumers.
May 15, 2015—Wal-Mart Stores is putting Amazon.com in its sights.
May 14, 2015—Two dietary-supplement marketers settled Federal Trade Commission charges that the companies made unfounded claims that their products could prevent or reverse gray hair.
Ride-sharing services claim to be more convenient than taxis are, but issues remain.
Many experts say e-cigs are less harmful than tobacco cigarettes are, but no independent research has studied the issue.
How Doctors Are Courted By Drugmakers
Don't rely on marketing claims that the facilities tout.
- Car Smart
- Can the gas station come to you? • Verizon Vehicle vs. OnStar • Toyota testing power units for hybrids • Rate increases vary by ZIP code • See All
- Consumer Alert
- Credit cards No. 1 scam payment method • Scammers mascarading as payday-loan providers • The (f)utility of it all • Ten mobile games that could damage your device • See All
- Healthy Living
- Tinnitus: Jazz guitarist Al Di Meola’s ‘hell’ • Comfort food is a myth • Expert: Don’t punish child for bed-wetting • Fetal imaging not for entertainment • See All
- True colors of food dyes unknown • Ahead of the pack: Beloved dog breeds • Wi-Fi connected U.S. airlines • Digital driver’s license • See All
- What's New
- Print your next meal • Dish’s ultra HD set-top box, 4K Joey • Tech for the elderly • Watch live TV wherever, whenever • See All
- Your Money
- ‘Sketch Guy’: Simple plan avoids mistakes • Action! Big flicks to bolster investors • Feasting on fast-casual restaurant stocks • Shop around for mortgage rates • See All
May 21, 2015—Oxo recalled its Nest Booster Seat, because the stitching on the restraint straps can loosen and cause the straps to separate from the seat, which poses a fall hazard to children.
May 20, 2015—Precision Trading recalled its Premium four-cup espresso maker, because the filler cap at the top of the unit can crack and allow steam to escape, which poses a risk of burns to the user. In addition, because of pressure buildup, the cap can pop off unexpectedly, which poses a risk of injury to a bystander.
May 20, 2015—Electrolux recalled Sears Kenmore Elite slide-in ranges, because the stainless steel trim that’s below the control panel can have a sharp edge, which poses an injury hazard to consumers.
May 19, 2015—Nissan Motor recalled 2004 Pathfinder vehicles that were manufactured from Jan. 6, 2004, through July 19, 2004, and 2004–2006 Sentra vehicles that were manufactured from Jan. 7, 2004, through Aug. 26, 2006.
“Universities are doing little to contain costs.”
“State legislators and governors across the country continue to cut spending for higher education.”
These are two disconcerting facts…
- SNEAK PREVIEW OF 2016 CARS, PICKUPS, MINIVANS, SUVs, HYBRIDS & ELECTRICS: We’ll put you in the driver’s seat when it comes to knowing what will hit dealerships’ showroom floors in the near future. Our special section will give you the scoop on 2016 models and beyond.
- HOME-SECURITY SYSTEMS: Technological advancements in home-security systems give consumers more customization than ever before. We’ll uncover what’s new and reveal our Best Buys for outdoor motion-detecting lighting, security systems and video surveillance systems.
- FINANCIAL PLANNERS: Inconsistent regulations and oversight make choosing a financial planner difficult for some consumers. Experts say top advisers promise to put your best interests ahead of their profits. We’ll help to prepare you to choose the best financial planner for you by covering the basics and providing helpful tips.