Family News

Mattel reintroduces ThingMaker as a 3-D printer

Feb. 16, 2016—When we took a look at the emerging consumer market for 3-D printers, we came away unimpressed with the devices as a useful household tool for a variety of reasons, including price.

See All

Related Department Briefs

“Toddler milk” needs more regulation

An open letter that was published November 2016 in Healthcare urges government regulators to step up efforts against companies that produce liquid nutritional supplements that are commonly referred to as “toddler milks” because of what the authors say is companies’ misleading and potentially harmful marketing to the parents of children who are ages 6 months and older.

Pet foods under new FDA scrutiny

Food and Drug Administration is considering guidelines that call for its staff to look for and possibly take regulatory action against manufacturers of pet foods whose labels are deceptive regarding how their food is intended to treat or prevent diseases.

Drug disposal expanded

Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) expanded its National Drug Take-Back Days program to make it easier for people to get rid of their unwanted prescription medications safely.

Boys’, girls’ brains differ after PTSD

A study that was published November 2016 in the journal Depression and Anxiety shows that the area of the brain that processes emotion differs between boys and girls, and, as a result, that girls are more likely than boys are to be affected by post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

See All

Family Recalls

Zutano’s Cozie Booties pose choking hazard

April 27, 2017—Zutano Global recalled its Cozie Booties for infants, because the non-slip rubber grips that are on the bottom of the booties might detach, which poses a choking hazard.

Target magnetic tic-tac-toe game poses choking, ingestion hazards

March 30, 2017—Target recalled its magnetic tic-tac-toe games, because the magnets might come off the game pieces, which poses a choking hazard. Also, when two or more magnets are swallowed, they might link together inside of the intestines and clamp onto bodily tissues. As a result, this might lead to intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis and death. Internal injury from magnets might pose serious lifelong health effects.

See All
Stay Connected